October 2000 – June 2004
Senior Systems & Network Engineer
- Employed to fix the existing environment and to modernize for the future. This included documenting a business case to secure funding, outline project plans, examine, and specify hardware and software products, negotiate with vendors, and delegate tasks to members of the project team.
- Planned and migrated the organization’s NT 4.0 domains to Active Directory with Windows 2000. I moved them to Active Directory on Windows 2003 two years later. Migrated the former Dynacare Labs NT 4.0 domain to the Active Directory forest on Windows Server 2003. Dynamic DNS, DHCP and Distributed File System (DFS) were implemented to lower administrative overhead. Designed and implemented a thorough Group Policy strategy securing and configuring workstations and servers in the domain.
- Put together hardware and software requirements and budgets for projects along with ongoing long-term maintenance costs.
- Designed the deployment and migration of the e-mail system to Exchange 2000 from the Netscape Mail server. Upgraded mail system to Exchange Server 2003 on an active/passive cluster using HP Proliant DL380 servers and MSA 1000 storage array (SAN) connected via redundant fiber channel connections to virtualize several old systems using VMware GSX Server and Microsoft Virtual Server.
- Designed antivirus implementation with McAfee Suite controlled using ePolicy Orchestrator. GroupShield was implemented to scan mail internally. Webshield e500 appliance was used to scan all incoming web traffic and SMTP traffic for viruses and spam.
- Managed, maintained, and upgraded several SQL servers, versions 6.5, 7.0 and 2000.
- Reengineered the disaster recovery strategies by upgrading to Veritas Backup Exec with a centralized backup library using an HP MSL 6000, along with updating all policies and procedures for doing backups and restores.
- Reduced bandwidth usage and Internet abuse by implementing an Internet Security and Accelerator server array for caching frequent web traffic and publishing web servers. Content scanning was implemented, to scan employee web traffic to monitor for Internet abuse, using Web Inspector.
- Installed and deployed Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 (SMS), used for asset management, remote troubleshooting, and software distribution. Later upgraded to 2003 version and was also included in patch management along with Microsoft’s Software Update Server (SUS).
- Determined a need to replace antiquated web servers used to host a number of sites for the hospital, community organizations, and medical groups. Specified HP BL30p blade servers running Internet Information Server 6.0 with Cold Fusion 6 to migrate to.
- Wrote detailed systems documentation, including hardware information, maintenance procedures, and disaster recovery outlines. Revised existing IT policies and procedures to conform to updated systems.
- Managed and upgraded Cisco network consisting of Catalyst 6509 core switch, Catalyst 3550 & 2950 access switches, 3800, 3600, 2600, 2500, 1700 routers, AS5350, 3015 VPN concentrators, and PIX firewalls. Maintained routing network using EIGRP. Responsible for the setting up LAN-to-LAN tunnels with the Cisco 3015 VPN Concentrator. Catalyst 6509 core/distribution switch, with 28 VLANs segregating traffic for security purposes with Access Control Lists (ACL).
- Maintained numerous WAN connections for remote health clinics, partner hospital, financial office, school of nursing, and specific vendors/service providers. WAN connections consisted of point-to-point T1, Frame-Relay, ISDN, and point-to-
- point 1.2 gigabit laser connection with 100 megabit RF backup connection. Implemented PIX firewalls between hospital and service providers to maintain the security of patient data.
- Maintained firewall ruleset in the Gauntlet 6 firewall to allow internet access to several web servers, mail servers, and VPN concentrators located in the DMZ.
- Used monitoring tools to monitor network and server systems and alert appropriate personnel of issues. These systems included Insight Manager, Openview, OpenManage, Ciscoworks, Jetadmin, and Argent Guardian.
- Administrated and upgraded small Citrix Metaframe 1.8 farm, used to support remote hospital site and remote financial group.
- Other systems and devices I implemented and/or managed are Kronos WorkForce Central, RSA SecurID, Powerscribe Voice recognition transcription system, Microsoft SNA Server 4.0, Microsoft Host Integration Server, Gauntlet Firewall (Solaris Platform), Zixit VPM (e-mail encryption), and Openlink (Siemens’s medical EDI).
- Supervised the Ellis Hospital and Amsterdam Memorial networks and systems along with remote clinical and financial billing sites, composing of more than 3,000 employees. This included daily administrating a Windows Active Directory domain and Novell 4.1 NDS tree.